Gare Marítima da Rocha do Conde de Óbidos

Porfírio Pardal Monteiro, 1948

Porto de Lisboa

Open Visits

Visit with no monitoring, within the designated timetable.

Regular Visits

Visit to the space accompanied by our team of volunteers present at the location.


Guided tour made by the author of the architectural project himself or by an invited specialist.

Ana Tostões

Maximum 25 people per visit

No reservation required; first-come, first-served

Photography allowed


This cruise terminal building is dominated by a large square-plan hall with a meticulous lighting design, which combines zenithal and lateral lights. It is a good example of how architects and engineers can and should work together. It also features two triptychs by Almada Negreiros, depicting aspects of everyday life in the vicinity of the dock – from an evocation of saltimbanques to Sunday walks along the river and the construction of the terminal buildings and to farewell scenes depicting the sadness of those leaving Lisbon and anxiety of those left. Both in this and the later Gare Marítima de Alcântara building, the main spaces are on the first floor, as it was from there that luggage was loaded on to the ships and the customs offices were located. The first steam liner to moor at the dock was the “North King”, belonging to a Portuguese-Panamanian company, on 19 June 1948.


Rua General Gomes Araújo, 1

Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Bus: 712

Train: Alcântara-Mar (Linha de Cascais)