Almada Carvalhais Palace

Pedro Reis, 2017 (reab.)



Guided tour made by the author of the architectural project himself or by an invited specialist.

Pedro Reis

Maximum 15 people per visit

No reservation required; first-come, first-served

Photography not allowed


Many will already know the vaulted tunnel-like space in this building on Largo do Conde Barão (it was formerly the entrance to the well-known nightclub B.leza). But few will be aware that the building has been listed as a National Monument since 1919, and is one of the city’s rare examples of civil architecture from the 16th century. Commissioned by Rui Fernandes de Almada around 1545, the palatial building was partly destroyed in the earthquake of 1755 and underwent significant reconstruction work in the late 18th century. The new intervention was aimed at recovering the former palace’s central nucleus and linking it to a new extension that is part of a new garden to be created in the courtyard.


Largo do Conde Barão, 48-57; Rua das Gaivotas, 1-3

Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Bus: 28E, 706, 714, 727, 732

Subway: Cais do Sodré (Linha Verde)

Train: Cais do Sodré (Linha de Cascais)

Boat: Cais do Sodré