Banco de Portugal Headquarters – former Igreja de São Julião

Reinaldo Manuel dos Santos e Honorato José Correia, 1810

Gonçalo Byrne e João Pedro Falcão de Campos, 2012

José Manuel Rodrigues

Open Visits

Visit with no monitoring, within the designated timetable.


Guided tour made by the author of the architectural project himself or by an invited specialist.

João Pedro Falcão de Campos no domingo às 11h30; restantes visitas com os guias do Museu

Plus Program

Drawing Marathon in a Historic Setting →

Open House Junior

Safe Box-Church, Heart-Wall →

Maximum 20 people per visit

No reservation required; first-come, first-served

Wheelchair access

Photography allowed


Set in the urban grid of the Baixa district, the Church of São Julião and the attached block were a product of the reconstruction project for the area after the earthquake of 1755. The whole block has belonged to Banco de Portugal since the 1930s, with the church having been converted to office space. After the remodelling and restoration work on the whole block the church is now a cultural space open to the community. It houses the new Money Museum, which displays its permanent collection in a number of nuclei using interactive technology, hosts other temporary exhibitions and is also home to the King Dinis Wall Interpretation Centre.


Largo de S. Julião

Directions: Google Maps / Apple Maps

Public Transport

Bus: Baixa-Chiado (Linhas Azul e Verde)azul e verde), Terreiro do Paço (linha azul)

Subway: Baixa-Chiado (Linhas Azul e Verde), Terreiro do Paço (Linha Azul)

Train: Rossio (Linhas de Sintra e da Azambuja), Cais do Sodré (Linha de Cascais)

Boat: Terreiro do Paço